Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother,To Philemon our beloved friend and fellow laborer, 2 to the beloved[a] Apphia, Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church in your house: 3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
The introduction to the letter
Grace and Peace
Grace – Unmerited favor
We have peace with God – a position of peace
Romans 5:1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have[a] peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
We have the peace of God – a feeling of comfort and God’s presence in any situation
Philippians 4:7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
He was completely under God’s control
Three basic questions
1. Do we have the deep desire to want to be like Him?
2. Do we understand that He believes in us?
3. How much time do we spend with Him?
The challenge for each of us as prisoners, or bondslaves of Christ is to examine our lives and realize
- the importance of both knowledge and passion in following our rabbi,
- a realization of the fact that He believes in us,
- and a commitment to the dedication and discipline required to be a disciple